Why are probiotics essential to weight loss and general health?
- Create vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, B6, B12, K, folate and Biotin
- Make short-chain fatty acids that feed the gut lining and lower intestinal pH
- Help digest food
- Produce lactase to digest milk
- Detoxification of harmful products
- Helps to balance hormones
- Will eliminate harmful bacteria and fungi and also produce bacteriocins and anti-fungals to fight them
- Have a positive effect on cholesterol and triglycerides; boost immune cells; reduce inflammation and enhance cell repair
- Help for diarrhoea: bacterial, antibiotic associated and rotavirus
- Support the immune system and essential in development of child immune system
- Enhance intestinal absorption of calcium, magnesium, potassium and zinc
- Reduce irritable bowel syndrome
- Reduce inflammation in Chron`s and ulcerative colitis
- Helps with food allergies
- Probiotics has an anti-cancer effect in the colon
- Probiotics reduce insulin resistance
Major bacteria and archaea phyla and genera found in the human gut microbiota
- Firmicutes: Ruminococcus , Clostridium, Peptostreptococcus, Lactobacillus & Enterococcus
- Bacteroidetes: Bacteroides
- Proteobacteria: Desulfovibrio, Escherichia, Helicobacter,
- Actinobacteria: Bifidobacterium
- Cyanobacteria: Synergistes
- Euryarchaeota: Methanobrevibacter
If you are concerned about the bacterial health in your digestive tract, you should consider a stool test.
The following two tabs change content below.
Dr James Liddell is an Integrated Healthcare Specialist (B.Pharm; M.Pharm; PhD; SAPC and PSSA registered) specialising in integrating different disciplines of healthcare to ensure holistic healthcare solutions. With 25 years experience as a Pharmacist, Dr of Nutrition and Complementary & Alternative Medicine Healthcare Practitioner, he believes lifestyle is ultimately the key to optimal health; a good nutritional foundation combined with sound emotional health are the fundamentals to what he calls ‘the optimal health zone’.
Latest posts by James Liddell (see all)
- Where does hypnotherapy fit in holistic healthcare? - March 18, 2019
- Learn how to calm the circuits and take back your power from anxiety and stress - March 11, 2019
- Hypnotherapy and the role of consciousness in the healing process - February 15, 2019