You are what you eat! If you have a history of heart disease in your family or concerned about heart disease I recommend you begin by implementing these food types into your daily eating habits to maintain a healthy heart.
Super nutrition for a healthy heart
- Eat your organic seeds and nuts (heaped tablespoon) or 1 tablespoon of cold pressed olive oil / flax oil.
- Eat 2-3 fresh organic fruits per day.
- Eat 3-4 servings of organic grains per day: rice, millet, rye, oats or quinoa (as cereal).
- Eat five servings of organic vegetables per day: watercress, broccoli, spinach, green beans, peas, carrots, sweet potato and peppers.
- Water: 1.5 – 2 litres per day – reverse osmosis, filtered, bottled or distilled.
- Eat at least 50% food raw and eat organic fruit and vegetables.
- Avoid burnt, fried, browned food as well as excess animal fat.
- No sugar, white flour, processed food, preservatives and chemical additives.
- Reduce alcohol consumption if you have BPH and have no alcohol if you have prostate cancer
- Eat organic beans and legumes daily (tofu, quinoa & seed vegetables).
- Always have proteins with each meal: cheese, yoghurt, eggs, nuts, fish, chicken, red meat.
- Eat at least breakfast, lunch and supper – snack if needed in between with fruit and almonds.
- Please consume BST hormone- free dairy products please.
- Rotate foods – do not eat the same foods every day.
- Eat fish 2 to 3 times a week minimum. Low fat fish (0.1-2.9%): angelfish, geelbek, hake, kingklip, kabeljou Medium-fat fish (3-10.9): pilchards, snoek, tuna, yellowtail
High-fat fish (11-30%): barracuda, salmon, butterfish, herring, mackerel, sardines
- Limit exposure to chemicals – herbicides and pesticides present to the body as estrogens
- Limit lead, cadmium and mercury exposure and quit smoking
- Eliminate all Transfats from the diet – pastries and biscuits
- Re-pack food in plastic containers into glass containers ASAP
The best way to prepare food
Do a 2-minute sauté followed by adding water based sauce and let the food “steam-fries” at lower temperatures. Grilling, steaming, boiling or baking is better cooking methods than any form of frying. Do not kill your food by cooking it to death – you destroy the live enzymes and nutrients.
Healthy heart supplements
- Multivitamin and multi-minerals: preferably of organic origin
- Antioxidants like Grapeseed extract, Alpha Lipoic Acid and/or Coenzyme Q10
- Vitamin C – 2000mg per day in divided doses
- EPA/DHA fish oils 1200-2400mg and eat oily fish 3 times per week
- Vitamin E 400mg
- Viscum Alb herbal tincture
- Magnesium 300mg daily
If you are on a low dose of aspirin and you take extra vitamin E and/or extra omega 3 oils – your blood might become too thin – check PI – discuss with healthcare professional.
It is important to re-evaluate your supplementation programme with any major health status change. Get professional assistance from your integrative healthcare doctor with your supplementation programme.
- New Optimum Nutrition Bible – Patrick Holford
- Prescription Alternatives – Earl Mindell
- Natural medicine – Beth Maceoin
- Herbal Medicine – expanded commission E Monographs
- Genesende Voeding – Dr Willem Serfontein
- Gesondheid vir `n leeftyd – Dr Christiaan
- Men`s Health September 2006
- Townsend Letter June 2009 issue #311