Reasons why gas is trapped inside the body abnormally include:
- Swallowing air (aerophagia): This involves inadvertently swallowing air that accumulates in the stomach and is then released by belching or farting. You might be eating too fast and therefore not chewing your food properly.
- Gaseous odour accumulation: Smelly farts are usually the cause of gas produced by colonic bacteria during fermentation of unabsorbed food residues.
- Changes in microflora: Gas also depends on the composition of the colonic flora. We also know that each person is different in terms of microbiome composition.
- Constipation: Impaired evacuation produces gas retention. Constipation can also prolong the fermentation process of foods in the digestive system, increasing internal gas production.
Thunder and stinky farts
Why do some farts make a loud sound, while others are “silent but violent”? This has to do with the alignment of certain muscles within your colon or rectum. Certain muscles help control how quickly gas is released; either tightly keeping gases inside or allowing them to be released more quickly and that can cause a sound.
Are Farts Bad for You? Can Flatulence Actually Be Beneficial?
Farting is considered a normal reaction within limits. It is releasing internal gas from the body, just like a burp or even breathing, it is usually harmless and in fact needed for normal metabolic functions.
Aside from being a sign that you are eating plenty of fibre, gases within your farts might even be beneficial. While this is not exactly a proven fact yet, there is some early evidence suggesting that farts offer protection against diseases like cancer because of the specific gases they contain.
Excessive farting can be a sign of an unhealthy digestive system
Underlying reasons for excessive gas accumulation can include:-
- Food intolerances
- Fermentation of bacteria within the gut
- Leaky gut syndrome or digestive disorders like Crohn’s, celiac disease and irritable bowel syndrome
- SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overgrowth)/excessive bacteria in the small intestine. Malabsorption occurs, particularly of fat-soluble vitamins and iron, leading to abnormal bacteria growth and gas
And remember to always listen to your body. Do you have violent stinky farts, remember it is an unhappy digestive system and needs an integrative health solution?
Latest posts by James Liddell (see all)
- The Benefits of Hypnotherapy for Children - April 15, 2019
- Where does hypnotherapy fit in holistic healthcare? - March 18, 2019
- Learn how to calm the circuits and take back your power from anxiety and stress - March 11, 2019